Saturday, April 24, 2010

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles

So today, despite the downpour of rain, high winds, and the threat of tornados, we went to see Thomas the Train.  My 4 year old son is a rather large fan of this English immigrant, although I am not sure where Sodor Island is (this relatively obscure reference confuse you?  Take 10 minutes to watch the beginning of any Thomas the Tank Engine episode for clarity.) and not sure what country this little island would claim association.  But we went beyond just seeing Thomas, we bought tickets to RIDE Thomas (this is the "Trains" in the title of this blog).  This is an experience that a train lover like my son could not forget.  We went last year when Thomas came to Chattanooga and we had a similar experience and my son never stopped talking about it.  However, driving to and from this event was not an exercise in entertainment as we traversed the 26.2 miles (according to the precise measurements of Mapquest.com) of slightly flooded roads and blinding, horizontal rain (this experience represents the "Automobiles" in the title of this blog).  But the best part of it all was the fact that I was there with my family.  Not just my wife and kids (one train addicted boy), but my mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law (the famous rock star for those of you who know my family.  If you don't know the name of his famous band, visit Genesis 4:2 NIV and add the word "Saving" after the word "brother" and you'll see the name of his band - cheap way to get you to open your Bible), sister-in-law, and their child.  It was a spectacular day and unbelievable weekend.  As far as the "Planes" in the title of this blog . . . boy, it would be tough to fly a plane in this weather (sorry, it was the best I could do.)      

No comments:

Post a Comment