Thursday, March 31, 2011

Keep running Matt, keep running!

Well, for those of you who are asking yourselves, "I wonder how the training for the Nashville Half Marathon is going for that fat guy?"  In my estimation, it is going well.  I still don't feel good when I run (not sure that day will ever come), but I hurt less (baby steps, right?).  I am running around 25 miles a week now, which is good for me (if you are some ultramarathoner, please do not post a comment about how you run twice as much).  My speed is creeping up slowly ("slowly" and "creeping" are two perfect words to describe my running style) and I am seeing overall improvement.  I've been talking to several people about the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon (Saturday, April 30th), which is only a little more than 4 weeks away and I am actually starting to get excited.  This run is one of the premier Half-Marathons in the country (coming from I guy who has run a grand total of two). 

But what I am really excited about is the opportunity to raise money for a great cause.  If you want to support me or motivate me, please consider giving to the cause I am running for - the People for Care and Learning (http://www.peopleforcare.org/) in what they are calling the "Run for Hope".  This organization is doing AMAZING things in SE Asia.  A perfect example is that for only a $10 gift, you can help a family in Cambodia who are currently drinking filthy water with a water filtration system.  This small gift can ultimately save children's lives!  So, go to www.active.com/donate/pclrunforhope/mattryerson and give today.  Even a gift of $10 can save a life in Cambodia . . . and help to serve as motivation for me!

A quick story.  I got on the treadmill this morning for a 4.5 mile run and a friend got on the one next to me, we started running at about the same time.  As he was running, I asked him how far he was going, he said he was going about the same distance as me.  I was at 3.85 miles and he started his cool down . . . yes, I am that slow.  Nonetheless, I finished the 4.5 miles (even went out to 4.65 miles because I had a little extra time) and felt good doing it.

Someone asked me my goals in running this half and I was hesitant to say, because that makes me accountable and nobody likes being held accountable for what they say, especially me.  But, in an effort to be transparent (another word I am not a fan of), I'd like to finish . . . yes, finish.  Not good enough you say?  I'd like to beat my time from 2 years ago = 2 hours and 24 minutes.  Not sure about that, my training was derailed by a nasty cold for a couple weeks, but we'll see what I can do.  What is my real goal?  To raise $3000 for People for Care and Learning on this run.  You can't help me with goal #1 and #2 (unless you want to run in my place), but you can help with #3, so consider giving at the link above!

Thanks for your support and I'll try not to embarrass myself, although that would make for a great blog entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment